On 15th and 21st January 2019, Merton College, the adult learning partner of Merton Council, are hosting two 1-day career workshops, based on career development.
The careers /employability workshops are free, but learners must be aged 19+ to attend.
Each workshop will be delivered by Martina Collett who is an employability skills tutor and a careers adviser with vast experience of working with adult learners and young people in Merton.
Learners will have the opportunity to learn specialist skills and progress onto work or aim higher with their careers in the New Year.
Career Matching Workshop – 15th January 2019 (10:00am-12:00pm)
This one-day workshop is designed to help learners find a career that matches their skills and personality through a series of activities, notably:
- Use a career matching programme to help with your career development
- Find out which careers match your skills, interests and personality
- Explore careers and the world of work
- Identify key qualities and skills that employers are looking for
- Explore your own career ideas
- Be able to revisit the programme from anywhere with Internet access
Click here for more information for more information and book onto the workshop.
CV Writing Workshop – 21st January 2019 (12:30pm -14:30pm)
In one day, learners will learn how to create a good first impression with their CV aligned with help to produce a covering letter that gets them shortlisted for an interview.
The learning outcomes from this workshop will be:
- Understand the aims of a CV and cover letter
- Understand how to explore job profiles and labour market information
- Understand the sections of a CV
- The importance of references in a CV
- Different CV formats
- The importance of the covering letter
- Be able to produce a CV and covering letter for a job application
Click here for more information and book onto the workshop.
Also starting in January 2019, the college has places on their part-time short courses for adult learners, in the following subject areas:
- Art, Fashion & Graphic Design – Abode InDesign, Digital Photography and many more
- Business, Law and Professional Studies – AAT Access Level and workshops on self-employment
- Cake Decorating and Cookery – Cake Decorating
- Childcare, Health, Care and Science – Counselling
- Hair, Beauty and Complementary Therapy – Barbering
- Music and Performing Arts – Learn how to play the Guitar
- Teaching and Training - Award in Preparing to Work in Schools Level 1
For more information about these courses and the other at Merton College, visit: https://www.merton.ac.uk/january