If you're 19 or older and studying an eligible Level 3 or Level 4 course, you could get a government loan to pay for your course tuition fees. The loan isn't based on your household income, there's no credit check, and you won't need to pay it back until you've finished your course and earn over £21,000 a year.
And, if you get a loan to study an Access to Higher Education course then go on to complete a Higher Education course, your Advanced Learner Loan repayments will be written off.
What does the loan cover?
The loan is paid directly to the college for the cost of your course tuition fees so you don't have to pay anything up front to study.
You don't have to borrow the full amount available - you can pay for some of the course yourself if you prefer. The minimum amount available is £300.
If you take out an Advanced Learner Loan for one course, then go on to study another eligible course afterwards, you can take out an additional Advanced Learner Loan to help with those fees too. You can take out a maximum of four loans in total.
Please note the loan won't cover other fees on your course such as a materials fee and college registration fee. To find out what fees are attached to your course, check the information for your course in the list of courses at the bottom of this
What will I need to repay?
You don't need to pay anything back until you're earning over £21,000 a year. If you complete an Access to Higher Education course then go on to study a higher education programme, your repayments will be written off and you won't have to pay anything back.
How monthly repayments are calculated (with examples based on a £25,000 annual salary):
- Subtract £21,000 from your annual salary before tax eg £25,000 - £21,000 = £4,000
- Calculate 9% of the remainder eg 9% of £4,000 = £360
- Divide that figure by 12 and round down to the nearest pound eg £360 / 12 = £30
- So your repayments in that example would be £30 a month.
Am I eligible?
This loan is not based on your household income or a credit check. To be eligible, you should be:
- 19 or older on the first day of your course. There is no upper age limit.
- Living in the UK on the first day of your course, and have lived here for at least 3 years. There are some exceptions - see the government website for full details.
- Studying an eligible Level 3 or 4 course. Our eligible courses are listed at the bottom of this page.
If you're aged 19-23 and are doing your first Level 3 course, the tuition fees for this will be free* so you don't need a loan. You are only eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan if you're studying an additional Level 3 course, or a Level 4 course. If you're 24 or over, you can take out a loan for any eligible Level 3 or 4 course.
* Please note you may still need to pay a materials fee and other fees on your first level 3 course. Check your course information for full details.